1. Select the right project.
2. Keep a curricular focus.
3. Know what you want for the final product.
4. Treat the movie like an essay.
5. Keep the rubric focused on content.
6. Include some technical criteria in the rubric. (lighting, sound, etc.)
7. Have a time constraint.
8. Critique example movies with students, using your rubric.
9. If being don in groups, build individual accountability into the project.
10. Reinforce literacy skills.
11. Teach students how to film.
12. Teach students how to edit.
13. Provide your students an audience beyond the classroom.
14. Complete the project yourself.
15. Have fun!
Bonus tip: Use realistic (homemade) costumes & props.